Suppose, just for example, that I am Microsoft Project Server 2010 Administrator, and that I will be on my holidays next two months! I want to make another user as a Administrator while I’m on my vacation. I can give him/her Administrators permission, or I can give him/her “delegation”, so him/her can act like me!
Be careful! If a user is a team member (with team member permission), when I put him as a delegate, he will have all my permissions (he is actually me)!
First of all I will globally enable user delegation feature!
- Manage Resource Delegates: with this permission you are turning on Delegation feature in PWA
- Manage My Resource Delegates: with this permission user can set up delegations for other users
- Manage My Delegates: with this permission user can create delegation for himself
- Can Be a Delegate:with this permission user can be a delegate for other user, after his delegation is created
OK! That were the Global Permission! But which users can be delegates? There are two ways to set this permissions. If you want give those permissions to the specific user than you should do this:
and finally you can give those permissions in a Global Permissions section for that user:
If you want to give those Permissions to the specific Group like, for example, Team Members, you can do that like this:
Is that all? No it is not! Now you should select a Category for users or groups who can have delegates (they will do work on their behalf)!
Now we are ready to create a new delegation!
- From: Start date. User can be delegate from that date
- To: End date. User can be delegate until that date
- Set Delegate: Who will be a delegate
- Working on Behalf of: Person who requires substitute
Now I can go to my vacation, and a user (name: Team member1) can do my work.
When I log on on the system it looks like:
Now I will log on as a Team Member1, and the system looks like:
Since this user is Team member he/she doesn’t have, for example, Server Settings permissions! But in next two weeks he will be me (administrator). How?
and I will get:
As you can see Team Member1 is acting like me know and he has ALL PERMISSIONS as I have. He is now, in fact, me!
Notice yellow band in the upper part of the screen. It warns you that Team Member is acting like a delegate!
When Team Member1want to be himself again he should do:
and he will get “his” screen again:
Finally, I will erase Team Member1 as a delegate! I will log on again and then:
That is it!