How to Use the Team Planner to Assign Resources

Hi,

This is Repost of my two old Posts, and I am doing that because it has to be explained again, since I am in the “ASSIGNING RESOURCE” posts, and it should be mentioned again!

I will show you how you can easily adjust assignments and reschedule your tasks in the project.

First I will add four tasks to my project and they will be in manually scheduled mode, and I will not schedule them for the moment:

Primjer 1 11.05.2011

I will add 3 resources through the Resource sheet (John, Paul, and Mary):

Primjer 2 11.05.2011

I will now start the Team Planner View:

Primjer 3 11.05.2011

You can see that John Paul and Mary don’t have any tasks assigned, and that all tasks are unscheduled (because I left them in manually scheduled mode)

I will assign John to the Task 1 , Paul to the Task 2, and Mary to the Task 3. I will get:

Primjer 4 11.05.2011

You can see that those Tasks are assigned but not scheduled. Now I will drag and drop Task 1 and put it to start on Wednesday 11.05.2011:

Primjer 5 11.05.2011

and I will get:

Primjer 6 11.05.2011

You can see that the task is still in manual schedule mode, but it has estimated duration of 1 day.

I will now double click on Task 1 and put 3 day duration in the duration field:

Primjer 7 11.05.2011

and I will get:

Primjer 8 11.05.2011

Now John is assigned to the Task 1 and it is scheduled

I will drag and drop Task 2 from Paul to John and put it to start on Wednesday 11.05.2011 as well, and I will change its duration to 3 days (automatic scheduled). After that I will get:

Primjer 9 11.05.2011

You can see that John appears in a red color, and it means he is “over allocated”. Now I will simply drag and drop Task 2 from John to Paul and I will get:

Primjer 10 11.05.2011

You can see that John is not “over allocated” anymore.

Now I will double click on Task 4 and I will set 3 duration days (automatic scheduled):

Primjer 11 11.05.2011

and I will get:

Primjer 12 11.05.2011

You can see that Task 4 is now scheduled but not assigned.

So, generally you can play with Team Planner View to assign and reassign the Task however you want. You must remember that there are 4 areas in Team Planner View:

Primjer 13 11.05.2011

Finally, if you move a scheduled task (assigned or unassigned) to unscheduled area (assigned e.g. to someone) or unassigned you will actually delete actual work on that task. I will move Task 2 from assigned (to Paul) and scheduled (from 11.05.2011 to 13.05.2011) to unassigned and unscheduled area and I will get a warning:

Primjer 14 11.05.2011

And last, but not least, Tem Planner View is available only in MS PROJECT 2010 PROFESSIONAL VERSION!

Now, I will show what you should pay attention to when you adjust assignments and reschedule your tasks in the project.

First I will add four tasks to my project and they will be in automatic scheduled mode, and I will schedule them:

Primjer 1 12.05.2010

I will add 3 resources through Resource sheet (John, Paul, and Mary):

Primjer 2 12.05.2011

I will now start the Team Planner View:

Primjer 3 12.05.2011

You can see that John Paul and Mary don’t have any tasks assigned, and that all tasks are scheduled.

I will assign John to the Task 1 and Task 4, Paul to the Task 2, and Mary to Task 3. I will do it using drag and drop function:

Primjer 4 12.05.2011

And I will get:

Primjer 5 12.05.2011

You can see that those Tasks are assigned and scheduled. Now I will drag and drop Task 1 and put it as John’s unscheduled task, and I will get a warning:

Primjer 6 12.05.2011

That means that I will actually delete the work of Task 1 since it is no more scheduled.

The same will happen if I move any scheduled task to the unassigned and unscheduled area (for example, Task 2):

Primjer 7 12.05.2011

Now I will reassign John to Task 1 and Task 4, Paul to Task 2, and Mary to Task 3. And again I will get:

image

I want to reassign Task 4 to Mary, and I want the Task 4 to begin on 12.05.2011. First I will drag Task 4 and move it to Mary on 12.05.2011. I will get:

Primjer 8 12.05.2011

Now I will release the mouse button, and I will get:

Primjer 9 12.05.2011

You can see that MS PROJECT did not allow me to reschedule Task 4. It only allows me to move the Task from John to Mary, but not to reschedule it EARLIER. If I had tried to move Task 4 from 19.05.2011 to, for example, 20.05.2011, MS PROJECT would have allowed me to do that.

Now, the Task 4 is assigned to Mary, and the start date is 19.05.2011. Now I will try to move it to 12.05.2011, again. I will get:

Primjer 10 12.05.2011

As you can see, I cannot move (or reschedule) this task to an earlier date without breaking the link. After I click the OK button I will get:

Primjer 9 12.05.2011

Task 4 stays scheduled as it was.

So, the Team Planner View is very powerful, but you must use it with caution.

See you,

Advertisements

About Nenad Trajkovski

Location: Zagreb, Croatia Occupation: Project Manager Interests: Project Management and MS PROJECT He was born in Zagreb, Croatia at 1963. After completing his college he started working on projects in different business areas (banking, manufacturing, automotive industry, distribution, oil companies, etc.) developing and implementing ERP systems into different companies. He has got a lot of experience working with people in different business processes and also possesses great knowledge in information technologies and financial services. Today he works as a business consultant, adn Project Manager in PERPETUUM MOBILE d.o.o. Zagreb. He is a regular lecturer for Project Management in MS Innovation Center in Varaždin, Logosoft Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina and SEAVUS GROUP in Skopje Macedonia. He was named the best lecturer of WINDAYS 2008 while his lecture was also voted as the best. In addition, he was in TOP 10 lecturers at the MS SINERGY 2009 and MS VISIA 2009, 2010. Shares first place as the best lecturer of KulenDays 2009 and 2010 and PMI Conference 2009 in Zagreb. He is also a regular lecturer in the MS Community. He is a Certified Accountant and a PMP (Project Manager Professional) and a PMI-RMP (Risk Manager Professional), MCP, MCT, and Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist - Microsoft Project 2010. From 01.01.2012 awarded with MVP (Microsoft Most Valuable Proffesional - Microsoft Project)!
This entry was posted in MICROSOFT PROJECT, Microsoft PRoject 2010, MS PROJECT 2010, PMI, PRoject Management and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to How to Use the Team Planner to Assign Resources

1. Reema Kapoor says:

PMP Delhi Aspirants should See this PMP Certification Delhi

2. US Airlines award notification letter says:

Keep up the fantastic work, I read few blog posts on this web site and I think that your site is very interesting and holds circles of good info.

3. Norbert Kolthoff says:

Hello. Great job. I did not anticipate this. This is a excellent story. Thanks!

4. Annis Medieros says:

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!