Hi,

I will show how to handle this error. I am working in regular domain in my company (Perpetuum). But, for testing purpose we made a testing domain called nt. I have Project Server Account created in Project Professional 2010!

Here it is:

and then:

I will try to log in with this account to MS PROJECT SERVER 2010:

and then I will get:

This is very annoying!

But there is an easy solution!

Open your IE Browser and go here:

and then:

image

Then scroll down until you find this:

image

after that, try to connect to MS PROJECT SERVER 2010 via MS PROJECT PROFESSIONAL 2010 again:

and you will get:

image

As you can see, with Automatic logon via current user name and password option MS PROJECT 2010 tried to use my default domain address, but when I checked Prompt for user name and password I can change my user name and password like this:

and then:

and finally I will get:

image

I am connected to Project Server!

And how to store, and publish sample Project From Project pro to Project Server?

Read my next Post.

Until then

Bye!

Advertisements

About Nenad Trajkovski

Location: Zagreb, Croatia Occupation: Project Manager Interests: Project Management and MS PROJECT He was born in Zagreb, Croatia at 1963. After completing his college he started working on projects in different business areas (banking, manufacturing, automotive industry, distribution, oil companies, etc.) developing and implementing ERP systems into different companies. He has got a lot of experience working with people in different business processes and also possesses great knowledge in information technologies and financial services. Today he works as a business consultant, adn Project Manager in PERPETUUM MOBILE d.o.o. Zagreb. He is a regular lecturer for Project Management in MS Innovation Center in Varaždin, Logosoft Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina and SEAVUS GROUP in Skopje Macedonia. He was named the best lecturer of WINDAYS 2008 while his lecture was also voted as the best. In addition, he was in TOP 10 lecturers at the MS SINERGY 2009 and MS VISIA 2009, 2010. Shares first place as the best lecturer of KulenDays 2009 and 2010 and PMI Conference 2009 in Zagreb. He is also a regular lecturer in the MS Community. He is a Certified Accountant and a PMP (Project Manager Professional) and a PMI-RMP (Risk Manager Professional), MCP, MCT, and Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist - Microsoft Project 2010. From 01.01.2012 awarded with MVP (Microsoft Most Valuable Proffesional - Microsoft Project)!
This entry was posted in MICROSOFT PROJECT, Microsoft PRoject 2010, Microsoft Project Server 2010 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Could not retrieve server initialization data error when connecting to MS PROJECT SERVER 2010 via MS PROJECT PROFESSIONAL 2010

1. Rishav Sujati says:

Hi,
    Issue
    1. I have faced the same issue with the same error “Could not retrieve server initialization data” when i try to open the project in MS Project Professional. I have checked all the Accounts in the MS Project Professional under Manage accounts.
    2. Project are not showing in Project center view in Project server Error “Error in page loading” and the page is keep on loading. But all the projects are showing under the delete enterprises projects in server settings all the projects are listed in this option.

Resolution
    Reset the IIS. After resetting this environment starts working properly. Able to view all the Projects in project center view in PWA. Able to open the project through MS Project Professional.

Thanks & Regards
    Rishav Sujati

2. peter says:

yeah, I know that too. That is the reason why, I tried to remove all of one PM permission, after that add him back as PM only with My project category. But it didn’t work. Do you know any tools or any documents that explain the security in detail.

Thanks you so much and have a happy holiday.

• Nenad Trajkovski says:

It works fine with me! I put each PM at Project Managemer Category! And it works! Well, it depends, of course how they try to log to Project Server Via Project Pro! If they log on with different usser name and password, than that user may have a different permission!

I do not know any tools. Try google but it should work. It works for me! Do you want me to write a blog post about it?

• peter says:

for detail, you put them in the Project managers group, and add the my project category for them, right?
        from beginning, I set up the permission because I want them to have the read permission only at the library, they can read the projects document, but cannot delete or move it. So I tried to read the book, test on the security templates, and it worked for me. But later, as you see, we got a hole in the system that the PM from A’s project, can access B’s project from open function in project professional.

Right now, i’m thinking about creating new project web application from central administration, but there are some options that I still don’t understand. Such as, how to delete web application, just choose it and click delete? because in delete option, they have 2, and I am quite unsure because I don’t want to accidentally delete the other web application site.

The IT just transfer this job to me, so he can do his part, and me, as an academic learner, I have to read books :))

3. peter says:

hi,
    How are you? I want to ask you another question about Project Pro and Project web access.
    I have multiple projects, and I want the project’s PM can only see their project only, not other group project. I can do it in Project web access, but if the PM using this function

“Retrieve the list of all projects from Project Server”, they can access other groups project. How can I prohibit, restrict this function?

thanks you so much and have a blessed holiday.

• Nenad Trajkovski says:

Peter! If you make appropriate permissions for Project Manager in PWA (Categories), and if he can access only his/her project, than he/she will not be able to open another Project. He or she will see them in Open options, but when he will try to open it hi will be refused!