from now on, I will write about MS PROJECT SERVER 2010! I will not write about Project Server Installation, but about “how to use it” with and without MS PROJECT 2010 Professional! Before you start to use it you must ask yourself three major questions:
- What can PROJECT SERVER 2010 do?
- What do I need from PROJECT SERVER 2010?
- Where are the differences between what it can do, and what do I need?
Answer on the third question will lead you to the FIT-GAP analysis, and that means that you will have document which can you use for customize PROJEC SERVER 2010, BEFORE YOU WILL USE IT!
Do not get me wrong, I strongly recommend MS PROJECT SERVER 2010, and I do not want to discourage you, but customizing and implementing MS PROJECT SERVER 2010 is complicated! Why?
First of all, it has a lot of possibilities! Second, you want to know what you want from it. Consider implementing MS PROJECT SERVER in your company as a huge Project. You should get a buy in for it. Users must see the benefit which they will get for the effort spent on that Project. As every Project, Implementing MS PROJECT 2010 must have:
- Project Plan
- Stakeholders expectations
- and much more
You can use MS PROJECT SERVER 2010 for:
- Managing simple or complex projects
- Managing Programs (a set of Related Projects)
- Managing Portfolio ( a set of Unrelated Projects or Programs)
- Portfolio Analysis
- and much more
After you have a CLEAR UNBIASED goals, you must SET UP your Project Server 2010!
Here is the picture of Project Server Settings page:
I will just mention some settings, because I will explain them in my next Posts:
- Security – Here you will set up Users, Groups, Categories and so on! Of course, you must know what you want before you star with these setting
- Enterprise Data – Here you will setup custom fields, Lookup tables, Calendars etc. which you can use for all of your projects, some of them, through all Departments or some of them
- Manage Views – Here you will manage your views, add new Views, etc.
- Time and Task Management – Here you are setting up how do you want to capture working and nonworking time needed for statutory time recording and progress updates to project managers, and much more
OK! you’ve get the point. From my next Post I am starting with “USING” MS PROJECT SERVER 2010!
Dear, I am interested in to implement MS project server in our organization. For the moment, we have no server, just transferring the project files to each other. But I do not know where to begin. Please advice me.
Implemetnig Project Server is a Project! First you should analyse your needs, what do you want to achieve with Project Server, and Get familiar with the Product, BEFORE you do anything!
Wonderful website. Plenty of useful info here. I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you for your effort!
where can we find the next post please?
Excellent Post – when will the next post be published? Thank you!
Very nice post!. Is there a way i can follow-up future posts.
Just follow this page! 🙂