in this Post,I am going to explain Categories! Default categories (built-in) are:
- My Direct Reports – They are intended for users who need to approve timesheets in Projects
- My Organization – This Category has almost all permissions to access all information
- My Projects – User can access to all projects that his owns
- My Resources – This is very useful for Resource Managers. It is linked with Resource Breakdown structure, which I will cover in the near future
- My Tasks –Intended for users who have tasks assigned to them
As you remember, Group is What you can do (open Project, for example). On the other hand, Category is what can you access! Strange? Let me show you that it is very simple!
I will open Manage Categories:
and I will get:
Now, I will click on My Projects category, and I will get:
On the upper side of the screen you can put Category name, and Description. You can also choose which groups are part of this Category. Now Advice. You can assign Groups to the Category here, in the Manage Categories screen, and you can assign Categories to the Group in the Manage Groups screen, choose one! I have a habit to assign Group to the Category, from the Manage Categories screen, and I stick to it!
Next part of Manage Categories screen is:
Here you are choosing which Project will be granted to access in this particular Category. If you choose All and future projects in Project Server Databases, than every user with this category will have access to EVERY PROJECT! If you choose Only the projects indicated, then you can choose which project can the user in this group access, by choosing from Available Projects (I do not have any, so far), and add them to the Selected Projects. There are five other options for Only the projects indicated:
Now next part of the screen:
Here you are choosing which Resources can User in this category View! If you choose All current and future resources in Project Server database, user can access any Resource in the resource pool. If you choose Only resource indicated, then you can choose which resources can the user in this group access, by choosing from Available Resources, and add them to the Selected Resources. There are five other options for Only the resources indicated:
- The user is the resource. User can see his own resource and assignments
- They are members of a Project Team on a project owned by the user. User can see all resources for the Projects that his owns.
- They are descendants of the User via RBS. User can see all resources which are below him on the RBS
- They are direct descendants of the User via RBS. User can see all resources which are below him on the RBS, but only ONE LEVEL BELOW
- They have the same RBS value as the User. User can see all other users which has the same RBS value.
The last part of the screen is:
Simple, here you can choose which views you want the user who belong to this category, can see!
OK! you think that was complicated? Read my next Post. I will show how to manage Group Permissions for Category, and Vice Versa!