In tis Post I will try to explain how to exchange Project Information between MS PROJECT 2010 PROFESSIONAL and SharePoint.
First, why should you use SharePoint while managing your Project? Well, there are three levels of using MS PROJECT 2010.
- When you have small (or big) Projects, not many of them, and you do not have Project Portfolio, and you do not want to share information with others you will use MS PROJECT 2010 as “stand alone” tool
- When you find a MS PROJECT SERVER 2010, and MS Project Web App (PWA) as overkill, and you do not have enough time to implement it to your performing organization, but you want to share some Project information with others, then you will use MS PROJECT 2010 and MS SharePoint.
- When you have large Projects, many of them, and you want much more than MS PROJECT 2010 Professional can give, and you are managing Programs, and Portfolio, then MS PROJECT SERVER 2010, and MS Project Web App (PWA) is right solution for you
I will NOT explain how to install, and setup SharePoint. I will give just a few examples how to use it with MS PROJECT Professional 2010. And very soon I will start with posts about MS PROJECT SERVER 2010, and MS Project Web App (PWA) !
OK! Let’s go! You can create Project Task lists in SharePoint like this:
- First, open SharePoint, and log in! You will get something like this (depend of your SharePoint settings):
- Then click on the Site Actions, and choose View All Site Content:
- On the screen click on the Create button:
- On the screen, scroll down, and click on the Project Tasks, and then type a description for the Project Task list:
- Finally, you will get:
Here is the place to put your Tasks! Notice that you can not put task in Auto scheduled mode, but only in Manually scheduled mode! This is because SharePoint doesn’t have a schedule engine!
I will put three Tasks in Task list and I will link them:
Now I can sync those task list with MS PROJECT PROFESSIONAL:
Now I must to login (it depends of your SharePoint settings:
Finally I will choose SharePoint Task List which I want to synchronize:
and I will get:
Task are converted to auto scheduled (because I set up in MS PROJECT PROFESSIONAL 2010 that all new Task are in Auto Scheduled Mode). All Tasks has Start no Earlier constraint, because in SharePoint start Date field I was enter values! If you compare Gantt Chart above with Gant Chart in SharePoint:
you will notice that in MS PROJECT 2010, Task 2 is first, Task 1 is second, and Task 3 is third in Gantt Chart. This is odd!
Now I will add three new task in MS PROJECT 2010:
I will sync it with SharePoint on the same way I did it before:
and I will get, in the SharePoint:
As you can see, Task from MS PROJECT 2010 are now in SharePoint, and in Manual mode!
What If you change some Values (for example start date or duration) in SharePoint or MS Project 2010? There will be a conflict between those two Projects. Don’t worry, there is the easy way to solve this Problem. How? Read my next Post.