In this Post I will show you how to create Enterprise Resources in MS PROJECT SERVER 2010, using PWA!
First I want to show you the difference between Enterprise and Local Resources.
- Enterprise Resources are resources are in resource pool, and they can be use (depends on permissions) on any project, program, or portfolio
- Local Resources are resources which can be “used” only in a local project, and there are not part of enterprise resource pool
How to create enterprise resource in PWA?
Depends of your permission (Administrator!) you can get Resource Center:
Finally I will get:
Here you can add new resource, or edit existing one, which I will do. I will click on myself, and I will get:
This is the firs part of the screen.
- Type: You can choose between Work, Material, and Cost. See some of my previous posts if you do not know the difference
- Budget: If this resource is Budget typeof resource select this check box. See some of my previous posts for explanation of budget type resource
- Generic: If this resource is Generic type (like Developers, Engineers, or something like that), select this check box. This type of resource is for planning purpose, and can be replaced with “real” resources latter in a Project
- Resource can logon to Project Server: If you select this check box (default), this resource can logon to project server. You may ask: Why to disable this? Resource should always be able to logon on Project Server! NO WAY! You can have, for example, brick or truck as resource. Can you imagine how Truck can logon to Project Server?
- Display name: This is Resource Name
- E-mail address:This is Resource’s e-mail address, and it must be entered because it serves for synchronizing with Exchange Server
- RBS:Here you can pick up from RBS Lookup Table resource’s position in it, or you can leave it blank (if this field is not mandatory)
- Initials:This is obvious
- Hyperlink Name: This is name of resource’s web site (if one exists), for example, I could put here MS PROJECT BLOG
- Hyperlink URL: For example, https://ntrajkovski.wordpress.com
- Resource can be leveled:If you want that this resource can be leveled (e.g. move him around the project and tasks depending of his/her availability, then select this check box
- Base Calendar: Default is Standard Calendar, but if you have special calendar for this resource (or group of resources), than you can select this specific calendar here
- Booking Type: It can Committed or Proposed. Committed means – I have this Resource on my project, Proposed means – I want this Resource on my project
- Earliest available: If the resource is not available to work all of the time, then you put here which is Earliest available datewhen you can count on it
- Latest available: If the resource is not available to work all of the time, then you put here which is Latest available datewhen you can count on it
- Standard rate: Resource’s standard pay rate
- Overtime rate: Resource’s overtime pay rate
- Current Max. Units (%): If the resource is available for full time job, put 100%, and if it is available, for example only half-time, put 50% here
- Cost/Use: This is also known as a setup fee. For example if you have a plumber, he will charge you $100/hour, but every time he will charge you for $30 for travel expenses (once per task)
- Synchronize Tasks: Choose this if you want to enable task synchronization wit Microsoft Exchange for resource (of course you should set up both Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Project Server before that
- Departments:Here you can choose if the Resource belong to any specific department. See my previous posts for Departments
- Resource Custom Fields: Here you will see all Resource Custom Fields which are “connected” with this resource, depending on RBS, and you can choose value from lookup table (if exists) for that fields
- Synchronize Tasks: Select this check box if you want to synchronize your tasks with Exchange server mailbox. Of course, both Project Server and Exchange Server has to be set up for this synchronization
- Security Groups and Security Categories: You are assign each resource to one or more Security groups and Categories. What are they? I had explained that in my pervious posts very briefly
- Global Permissions: As I said in my previous posts, DO NOT SET UP THOSE for each resource, but rather do that for groups and / or Categories, because you can be very confused later!
- Group fields: put here some further information if you want to sort, filter etc. resources by Group, Code, Cost Center or Cost type (custom field)
- Team: You can choose team to which resource belong, so latter you can reassign task from one team member to another
- Team Assignment Pool: For example, you could create a team resource named Painters to which you assign painting the wall tasks. By assigning this resource to the Painters team and selecting the Team Assignment Pool check box, you enable other resources on the Painters team to see any tasks assigned to the Painters resource and to accept the assignments in PWA.
That is it!