my Blog Reader has a very interesting question:
I have a problem, and I hope you can help me, I’m a follower of your blog. I have some task on project and resources, but I want the resources to be placed in task in phases I mean for example:
I have the task painting, but I want George to paint in 5 phases, from day 1 to day 4 and stop for 3 days, and I want Mary to paint in those 3 days, then she stops and George starts again, but sometimes I want Mary and George paint at the same time. That is possible?.
OK. Let’s say that task Painting has 10 days Duration. I want to distribute Resources to this Task like this:
- From day 1 to day 4 – George will paint
- From day 5 to day 7 – Mary will paint
- At day 8 – George will paint
- From day 9 to day 10 – George and Mary will paint
I will show you how to do it with MS PROJECT 2016.
First I will create new Project with task Painting, 10 days Duration:
Next I will create two Resources for my Project: George and Mary:
Now I will assign them as follows:
- From day 1 to day 4 – George will paint (22.05-25.05)
- From day 5 to day 7 – Mary will paint (26.05-30.05)
- At day 8 – George will paint (31.05-02.06, because he will paint the rest with Mary, see below)
- From day 9 to day 10 – George and Mary will paint (for Mary 01.06-02.06)
After I click on OK button I will get:
So, I can not achieve what I want in this, easiest way. What can I do? Well, I can get it on the hard way.
First I will assign George and Mary to whole Task:
Now I will switch to the Task Usage View:
Finally, I will Manually adjust Resources per each and every day, as I want:
Now I have what I want. But this is harder way because I had to do all adjustment manually, and I will prefer that I can do it like shown in my first example. But, this is not possible (at the moment, we will see what will Microsoft do in the future).